Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Silent Day.

Downside of maternity leave: you end up with very little vacation time, so when everyone else decides to take the week of Christmas off, you’re the only one stuck going to work. That would be me. Today I’m the only one in the office, which is both strange and oddly peaceful.

It’s actually not even close to the most boring day I’ve had at work, since I can literally do pretty much anything I want and there’s no one here to know the difference. My most boring days are when everyone else is here but no one has any actual work to do but we all want to look busy like we are actually working so we all just sit at our desks in front of our computers as if we’re responding to emails and working on spreadsheets or whatever the heck it is we’re supposedly working on in the middle of winter.

Today is different. I feel a sense of freedom and relaxation. I can play Christmas music as loud as I want. I can wear whatever I want. I can burp out loud. I can talk on the phone to friends and not care who’s listening.

Since getting to work this morning, I have….
  • Done my makeup (why waste time on it at home when you can do it at work?)
  • Straightened my hair better than I have in I don’t know how long (spending a half hour straightening your hair makes a WORLD of difference compared to spending my usual less than ten minutes if I even bother to do it at all…)
  • Made coffee
  • Drank coffee
  • Ate a bowl of oatmeal
  • Pumped
  • Checked email about 10 times
  • Spent a half hour reading about 6 month milestones and baby food on the internet
  • Called Nick and was told that Nora does not seem to care for my homemade baby food

As a side note, Dundie is apparently more excited for Christmas than any of us as he began opening Christmas presents this morning. This begins a new Seevers household Christmas tradition, of not placing wrapped presents beneath the Christmas tree, but in the closet.

No comments: