Friday, September 23, 2011

Frugal Friday: Tip #61

In this week's edition of A Cheapskate's Guide to Frugal Living...

Tip #61: Cut your own (or better yet, your spouse's) hair.

A trip to the hairdresser can cost you a pretty penny these days. Why not grab some scissors and try your own hand at barber-shoppery? Well I did, and while I myself wasn't willing to be the guinea pig for my first haircut, my adventurous (or apathetic) husband was.

Here's how it went:

Nick: I really need a haircut.
Me: I'll do it for you.
Nick: Ok.
Me: REALLY? Ok.
(the next morning... Saturday morning, aka College Football day, mind you...)
Nick (as I begin cutting): You have no idea what you're doing, do you.....?
Me: No, not really, I've never done this before.
(snip snip snip)
Nick: Are you done yet? This is taking forever.
Me: It's been like 5 minutes. I said I've never done this before. Chill out.
(snip snip snip)
Nick: This is taking forever.
Are you done yet?
Are you cutting all my hair off?
You'll never make any money doing this.
Me: I said chill out... is this how you talk to the hairdresser when you go out to get your hair cut?

...and after only 1 hour (3, if you ask Nick, but he's known to be a liar about these things), voila! A beautiful haircut with only a few little patchy spots that you could easily argue are *stylistic choices* or *artistic flair* or my personal reasoning, *one of those neat haircuts when people get designs shaved into the sides of their head.*
It's only been a couple weeks, and it's filled in quite nicely and could almost pass as a real haircut. Another skill to add to the resume.

1 comment:

ScottsTanks said...

This post isn't as good without pictures